Q: The holiday season is upon us. It can be a happy and joyous time, but it can also be a frenetic, anxious, or depressing time. What are some tips to help individuals manage the season?
A: The holiday season can be wonderful and yet challenging time. Below are some tips to make the season a littler easier to manage.
Have modest expectations- don’t let the materialism and commercialization dictate how the holidays are supposed to look or feel
- Plan ahead and stick to the plan
- Be intentional about your holiday plans
- What and who you will buy for this season
- Where and when you will go places
- Who you will spend time with
- When breaks are needed from the hustle and bustle
- Keep you habits – don’t let the holiday season dramatically change certain habits
- Eating habits
- Sleeping habits
- Your normal routine
- Alcoholic intake
- Regular Exercise – it is great for burning calories, but also good for bouts of depression or anxiety
- Get outside – sunshine, fresh air and physical activity are great ways to help us regulate stressors.
The following websites were used in answering the question: